Can dogs eat gummy bears?

  • by
Can Dogs Eat Gummy Bears

Gummy bears are a type of candy enjoyed by children and adults alike. We all know that there are treats that aren’t specifically good for dogs.

And you might ask yourself, ‘can dogs eat gummy bears?’ ‘Will there be any risks if I share this treat with them?’ 

As with other sweets, gummy bears are not a healthy snack for your dog. These candies may carry even more detrimental substances to your dog than the usual high-calorie, sweet treats on the racks in the pet store.

Can Dogs Eat Gummy Bears?

Gummy bears might be a tasty treat; though, they are toxic for your dogs. Regular human gummy bears don’t contain nutrients that your dog needs for excellent health. Frankly, they are among the Top 10 most unhealthy snacks regardless of breed and age. 

Suppose your dog eats one gummy; he won’t require urgent medical care like the consumption of chocolate would justify. However, experts advise that any food made mainly of sugar must not be included in your dog’s daily diet.

Gummy Bears For Dogs

Why Dogs Shouldn’t Eat Gummy Bears?

Even though these small candies are colorful and adorable, they can have some toxic ingredients for dogs.

  • Sugar
  • Glucose
  • Gelatin
  • Corn syrup
  • Citric acid
  • Starch
  • Food colorings
  • Flavorings 

On top of that, sugar-free Gummy Bears are made up of a synthetic sweetener, such as xylitol or lycasin

In the context of Gummy Bears and dogs, the two components that are the greater challenge are sugar and sugar substitutes. Consuming too many gummies can cause a toxic reaction. Without treatment, it can be lethal for your pet. 

Xylitol

Most candies, like gummy bears, now have a sugar-free version. These gummies may have the synthetic sweetener xylitol, which is extremely harmful to dogs. Xylitol is a sugar alcohol found in most plant materials, and it is commonly used in medicine. It is also a sweet substance that is mainly found in sugar-free and low-sugar treats. 

The threat in xylitol is it reacts with your dog’s digestive tract. When dogs consume gummy bears containing xylitol, the substance is immediately absorbed into the bloodstream, leading to a substantial insulin release from the pancreas. And can cause hypoglycemia. Left without treatment, this condition can soon be lethal; hence, it is imperative to call your local veterinarian. 

Believe it or not, even the smallest amount of xylitol consumed by a dog can be risky, even deadly. Because of this, you should keep dogs from eating gummy bears.

Xylitol poisoning signs occur immediately, often within 15-20 minutes after consumption. Below are some symptoms of xylitol poisoning:

  • Weakness
  • Depression or lethargy
  • Hypoglycemia
  • Lack of coordination or having a hard time standing or walking
  • Liver failure
  • Accelerated heart rate
  • Tremors
  • Seizures
  • Coma 

At times, when a dog tries gummy bears, its immune system will naturally react. This causes him to vomit as he attempts to dispel the gummies from the body. To avoid any risks, take your dog to the veterinarian. 

Sugar

Too much sugar intake is dangerous to humans and dogs. It can result in obesity and hyperglycemia. As time goes on, it can also trigger other conditions, like diabetes, which can tremendously reduce the life expectancy of your dog. 

What’s more, the sugar in gummies could cause tooth decay. Additionally, it could also result in them not consuming their meals.

The bacteria in their mouth combine with the sugars, turning them into acids and eroding the protective enamel found in teeth. With tooth decay or loss of teeth, it would make biting difficult for your dog. 

Dogs need healthy, unprocessed sugar to live happily. They need carbs to survive and function. You don’t have to feed them gummy bears because they don’t contain real, nutritious benefits.

 Dogs Shouldn’t Eat Gummy Bears

Other Ingredients To Take Note

Although some store-bought treats may have substances that may be moderately toxic, others can include ingredients that are not as lethal. However, they might still pose a threat if too much is consumed.

For example, some studies have proved that some gummy treats contain grape juice, which is harmful to canines. Similarly, some gummy bear manufacturing companies may incorporate iron, resulting in kidney damage in certain dog breeds. 

If you notice your dog is exhibiting the following symptoms, call the Pet Poison Helpline immediately:

  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Stomach ache
  • Gagging
  • Lethargy
  • Loss of appetite
  • Constipation 

Symptoms can range from mild inflammation to death. If you think that your dog has eaten something toxic, the first thing you must do is bring them to the vet for a thorough assessment.

What Should I Do If My Dog Ate Gummy Bears?

Suppose your dog had only a tiny gummy bear; you don’t have to worry that much. But please be careful when storing gummy bears – they should not be accessible by your dog to avoid any predicaments down the line. 

However, if we refer to substantial numbers, you have to observe your dog for unusual behavior or symptoms, including diarrhea, vomiting, rapid heart rate, shiverings, etc. Try to look at its list of ingredients to see if it contains xylitol. 

If the gummy bears do have xylitol, you must bring your pet to the vet right away. The vet will likely prescribe medicine to induce vomiting and eliminate the toxic substance from the dog’s body.

Never do this on your own except when instructed by your doctor. It is vital to receive the proper treatment for your dog in case he eats gummy bears.

things to do if dogs eat gummy bears

Final Thoughts

Gummy bears are not essential for your dog’s nutrition, so there is no valid reason for giving them to your dog. Protect your dog from any risk and avoid giving him any types of gummy bears. 

If you suspect your dog got a hold of a few gummies, check the package label and contact your veterinarian at once. The most alarming ingredient is xylitol. Never allow your pet to have any food that contains xylitol.

While some foods don’t carry xylitol, they probably have high sugar contents that are toxic for your dog. In conclusion, dogs should not consume gummy bears. In fact, keep them out of their reach.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *